Jun 10, 2009

Weed Eater, Anyone?

I had full intentions of finding that special place. True, I missed it the first time I passed, but only because I failed to watch for it. I was more careful the second time--but the path eluded me again.

I knew that place very well...once. Once, I frequented the cool but welcoming shadows, the quiet stream, the incredible serenity. Yes, it existed.

But now it is lost to me! Has it left? Or have I simply lost the path?

I suppose it was a subtle thing, this hiding of my path. (Plants rarely explode into a forest overnight!) But sly nature has a way of filling deserted places with her own visitors.

Deserted? Why, I never deserted the place! I held it near to my heart! Of course, the other distractions may have kept me away for, oh, 2 or 3 months--but it was not intentional, my friends!

Now, if I am to find my way again, I must crash through the underbrush and dodge branches. Hm, sounds violent...maybe painful. I may get scratched. I wonder--is it worth it?

It's been so long. SO long. The memory is nearly hazy...was it a dream? Did it happen?

Does it exist?

"Where is your faith?"

The quiet place of prayer grows sweeter with visitation.
You can fool yourself with hypocrisy...you may call yourself a Christian,
But if your path is getting weedy, you are in grave danger.

Your attitude will show it.
Your priorities will show it.
Your life will be empty, though you stuff the gaping cavern with all you can get your hands on:
Excuses, anger, materialism, hate, and always--Selfishness.

How can we?
We've know the sweetness of intimacy with the Power of the Universe!

But, when distractions are closer to our hearts than that quiet place,
our path will become overgrown.

How do Christians become Atheists?

The path "disappeared."
It takes too much energy, too much effort, to crash back through.
They forgot how important it is, and now it's not worth it.

Keep your hedge trimmer handy.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent analogy. Quite a accurate description of how it feels as well. A overgrown and lost path.

    As always, looking forward to more updates here.

    ReplyDelete